Thursday, 7 January 2016

Federal High Court have denied granting Dasuki N250m bail

 
Federal High Court, Abuja, yesterday debunked reports that it granted bail to the tune of N250 million to the embattled immediate-past National Security Adviser (NSA), Colonel Sambo Dasuki (rtd) and others standing trial over their alleged complicity in the alleged $2.1 billion arms deal scam.

In a statement he issued , Acting Chief Registrar of the court, Emmanuel Garko said since none of the suspects was brought before the court, there was no basis for reports that it granted bail to any of them.


In a related development, the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), plans to arrest more influential Nigerians allegedly on the corruption list even as spokesman of the Peoples Democratic Party, Olisah Metuh remains in EFCC custody for the third day running, without any hint as to the next move the commission is going to make.

EFCC spokesman, Wilson Uwujaren confirmed last night on telephone that Metuh was still in their custody.

Acting chairman of the commission, Ibrahim Magu who spoke yesterday at a meeting with online media practitioners and broadcast media managers in Abuja hinted that more prominent Nigerians would be arrested in the coming weeks in connection with alleged corruption.

He further explained that the commission has been alleged to be carrying out lopsided arrests because it has so far not got petitions from ‘the other side.’

Garko explained that the clarification became necessary following misrepresentation in the media that the Federal High Court granted bail to Dasuki and others at N250million each.

He said: “It will be in the interest of the reporters and editors to note that these cases involving the accused persons are not all before the Federal High Court of Nigeria as reported by some national dailies, but before Justice Hussein Baba Yusuf and Justice Peter Affen of the High Court of the FCT.”

Explaining that the Federal High Court its their respective jurisdictions, Garko however urged the media to be cautious in their operations and always endeavour to cross check facts before publication.
The Guardian had reported that Dasuki and others allegedly involved in the arms deal debacle were granted bail on December 18, 2015 and December 21, 2015 in the sum of N250 million by judges of the Abuja High Court, Justices Hussein Baba-Yusuf and Peter Affen.
Guardian

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...