Tuesday, 8 March 2016

Benue saves N2.6bn from ghost workers syndicate

Governor Samuel Ortom of Benue State, yesterday said his administration had saved over N2.6 billion from ghost workers syndicate at the state and local government levels. He stated that the sum was saved from the N26 billion bailout funds recently accessed from the Federal Government after the screening that preceded the disbursement of the funds. 

Ortom made this known while receiving the report of the Administrative Commission of Inquiry into the Sale/Lease of Government Assets from June 2007 to May 2015. The governor explained that N1billion was saved from the N12.5 billion accessed for state workers while N1.6 billion was saved from the N15.5billion accessed for workers at the third tier of government. 

According to him: “The over N1 billion was saved from the N12.5 billion bailout funds to the state while N1.6 billion was saved from the N15.5 bailout funds accruing to the local government areas. The N2.6 billion that was saved has been injected into the treasury because it is a loan that must be paid back.” Ortom said that many fictitious names were discovered in the payment vouchers during the disbursement of the funds, noting that two committees had been set up to address complaints from genuine workers who were yet to be paid. He added: “We discovered that fake names were included in the payment vouchers. Those involved will be handed to security agencies for prosecution. We have already set up two committees for those who have issues with payments but up till now, we are yet to see anybody with complaints.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...